Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hunters in the Snow



so currently my little part of California is freezing. I realize this is not exactly a phenomenon and that most of the country has been very cold for quite some time now, but it's still shocking to me, probably because I dont have a proper heater.

anyway, it made me think of this painting, Pieter Bruegel the Elder's Hunters in the Snow. Bruegel was a Flemish painter in the 16th century. he is known for depicting daily Flemish peasant life, and also for his allegorical paintings. like Shakespeare he often painted comical scenes of peasants. they appear almost as farces, but the lack of pretense in the lower classes of the time made them an easy target for Bruegel's commentary on human nature.

in case you were wondering, there is indeed a Pieter Bruegel the Younger also. maybe I'll do a post on him later.

have a great Thanksgiving, and stay warm!

<3a

1 comment:

  1. I am very impressed at your knowledge and analysis of the paintings you've chosen so far for this blog. Someday, I'd love to show you Gael's paintings as I think you'd like her work. And yes, it is unseasonably cold here in California!

    ReplyDelete