Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Paul Gauguin

in honor of the only state-side exhibition of the Post-Impressionist collection from the Musee d'Orsay, currently at the de Young museum in San Francisco, I decided to post a painting by Gauguin. I have not yet been to the exhibition, but I am dying to go. one day, when I have a day off work...



Gauguin spent much of his life traveling and working around the world. he eventually ended up in Tahiti, where, with the exception of two years, he spent the rest of his life. this painting, self portrait with yellow christ, was done shortly after his initial move to the South Pacific. it depicts two of his earlier paintings, yellow christ, and the tobacco jar, in addition to himself.

I enjoy Gauguin's art for the raw, savage emotions he imparts and his vivid use of color.

<3a

No comments:

Post a Comment